Core aspects of British Values are promoted through the SMSC work that is integrated throughout every year group. The British Values of democracy, The Rule of Law, Individual Liberty, Mutual Respect and Tolerance of those of Different Faiths and Beliefs are promoted through the Curriculum:
· All children have a pupil voice and a say in their education. Each year the pupils decide on a representative for the school council. All children’s ideas are expressed to their representative who then discusses these at regular school council meetings.
· Throughout the curriculum children are encouraged to debate their ideas and thoughts and to use voting when making class decisions.
· Through all areas of the Curriculum children are taught the importance of listening to others and their viewpoint, allowing pupils to gain a full understanding of democracy.
· The principle of democracy is explored through our topic curriculum.
· Through e-safety and PHSE lessons children are encourage to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms and are advised how to do this safely.
· From time to time themes in high quality literature lend themselves to discussions and tasks in class around the importance of rules, mutual respect and diversity
· Activities in classrooms during Anti-Bullying week bring out the importance of respect, rights and responsibilities
· We actively promote diversity through our celebrations of different faiths and cultures. Religious Education lessons and PHSE lessons reinforce messages of tolerance and respect for others. Members of different faiths and religions are encouraged to share their knowledge to enhance learning within classes and the school. The children visit places of worship that are important to different faiths.
Not long now until 21 children from Firs will be performing their very own song on stage @DerbyTheatre with @sinfoniavivauk. We are very excited and can’t wait to tell the story of ‘Energy’. Come and see us Tuesday 25th February at 7pm. #VivaEnergy
What a great end to the half term... This morning in Lively Laurels we looked at our finished art sculptures, complete with the captions we typed in computing. We even got some of our parents in to have a look. Have a happy and safe half term holiday everyone!
Awesome Oaks had a fantastic morning with @KonfluxTheatre learning about internet safety for @safeinternetday ! We've discussed social media, trolling/cyber bullying and sharing personal information. We've also talk about how @childline can be a place to report it to. #SID2020
Another excellent day at #VivaEnergy with @becketprimary & @firsderby - final rehearsals & adding BSL to the new songs with @MsSarahGatford @Jessie_Grimes @bencsik_deirdre @EllieMartindal2 ✨ Cannot wait to hear it all come together on 25 Feb 🎟➡️ https://t.co/hFkQoge2qZ
Lively Laurels have had a great morning learning about how to stay safe online. Thank you @KonfluxTheatre for our Internet Safety workshop. Check out our website with the rest of the online safety reminders we made.